icon-show

Now Playing

The Paul Finebaum Show

FM Talk 1065

  • College Pick Em 2024
  • Hear Dr. Bill Williams' Forecast

    twice an hour on FMTalk1065

Three Big Things

1 2 3
  • US military preparing for potentially weeks-long Iran operations

    The U.S. military is preparing for the possibility of sustained, weeks-long operations against Iran if President Donald Trump orders an attack, two U.S. officials told Reuters, in what could become a far more serious conflict than previously seen between the countries.

    The disclosure by the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the planning, raises the stakes for the diplomacy underway between the United States and Iran.

    U.S. envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner will hold negotiations with Iran on Tuesday in Geneva, with representatives from Oman acting as mediators. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio cautioned on Saturday that while Trump's preference was to reach a deal with Tehran, "that’s very hard to do."

    Meanwhile, Trump has amassed military forces in the region, raising fears of new military action. U.S. officials said on Friday the Pentagon was sending an additional aircraft carrier to the Middle East, adding thousands more troops along with fighter aircraft, guided-missile destroyers and other firepower capable of waging attacks and defending against them.

    Trump, speaking on Friday after a military event at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, openly floated the possibility of changing the government in Iran, saying it "seems like that would be the best thing that could happen." He declined to share who he wanted to take over Iran, but said, "there are people." 

    "For 47 years, they've been talking and talking and talking," Trump said.

    Trump has long voiced skepticism about sending ground troops into Iran, saying last year, "the last thing you want to do is ground forces," and the kinds of U.S. firepower arrayed in the Middle East so far suggest options for strikes primarily by air and naval forces. In Venezuela, Trump demonstrated a willingness to rely also on special operations forces to seize that country's president, Nicolas Maduro, in a raid last month.

    Asked for comment on the preparations for a potentially sustained U.S. military operation, White House spokesperson Anna Kelly said: "President Trump has all options on the table with regard to Iran."

    "He listens to a variety of perspectives on any given issue, but makes the final decision based on what is best for our country and national security," Kelly said. 

    The Pentagon declined to comment. 

    The United States sent two aircraft carriers to the region last year, when it carried out strikes against Iranian nuclear sites.

    However, June's "Midnight Hammer" operation was essentially a one-off U.S. attack, with stealth bombers flying from the United States to strike Iranian nuclear facilities. Iran staged a very limited retaliatory strike on a U.S. base in Qatar.

    RISKS INCREASING

    The planning under way this time is more complex, the officials said. 

    In a sustained campaign, the U.S. military could hit Iranian state and security facilities, not just nuclear infrastructure, one of the officials said. The official declined to provide specific details. 

    Experts say the risks to U.S. forces would be far greater in such an operation against Iran, which boasts a formidable arsenal of missiles. Retaliatory Iranian strikes also increase the risk of a regional conflict.

    The same official said the United States fully expected Iran to retaliate, leading to back-and-forth strikes and reprisals over time.

    The White House and Pentagon did not respond to questions about the risks of retaliation or regional conflict. 

    Trump has repeatedly threatened to bomb Iran over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs and crushing of internal dissent. On Thursday, he warned the alternative to a diplomatic solution would "be very traumatic, very traumatic."

    Iran's Revolutionary Guard has warned that in case of strikes on Iranian territory, it could retaliate against any U.S. military base.

    The U.S. maintains bases throughout the Middle East, including in Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Turkey.

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met Trump for talks in Washington on Wednesday, saying that if an agreement with Iran were reached, "it must include the elements that are vital to Israel."

    Iran has said it is prepared to discuss curbs on its nuclear program in exchange for lifting sanctions, but has ruled out linking the issue to missiles.

    On Saturday, Iranian opposition figure Reza Pahlavi said U.S. military intervention in Iran could save lives and urged Washington not to spend too long negotiating with Tehran's clerical rulers on a nuclear deal.

    The exiled son of Iran's toppled shah told Reuters in an interview there were signs that the Iranian government was on the brink of collapse and that an attack could weaken it or accelerate its fall.

    "We are hoping that this attack will expedite the process and the people can be finally back in the streets and take it all the way to the ultimate regime's downfall," said Pahlavi, who is based in the United States and has lived outside Iran since before his father was toppled in the 1979 Islamic Revolution.


    Read More : Exclusive-US military preparing for potentially weeks-long Iran operations

  • No Clear Path to Ending the Partial Government Shutdown as Lawmakers Dig in over DHS Oversight

    Lawmakers and the White House offered no signs of compromise Sunday in their battle over oversight of federal immigration officers that has led to a pause in funding for the Department of Homeland Security.

    A partial government shutdown began Saturday after congressional Democrats and President Donald Trump's team failed to reach a deal on legislation to fund the department through September. Democrats are demanding changes to how immigration operations are conducted after the fatal shootings of U.S. citizens Alex Pretti and Renee Good by federal officers in Minneapolis last month.

    Congress is on recess until Feb. 23, and both sides appear dug into their positions. The impasse affects agencies such as the Transportation Security Administration, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Coast Guard, the Secret Service, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

    The work at ICE and CBP goes on unabated because Trump’s tax and spending cut law from 2025 provided billions more to those agencies that can be tapped for deportation operations. About 90% of DHS employees were to continue working during the shutdown, but do so without pay — and missed paychecks could mean financial hardships. Last year there was a record 43-day government shutdown.

    White House border czar Tom Homan said the administration was unwilling to agree to Democrats' demands that federal officers clearly identify themselves, remove masks during operations and display unique ID numbers.

    “I don’t like the masks, either,” Homan said, But, he said, “These men and women have to protect themselves."

    Democrats also want to require immigration agents to wear body cameras and mandate judicial warrants for arrests on private property.

    Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Democrats are only asking for federal agents to abide by rules followed by law enforcement agencies around the country.

    “And the question that Americans are asking is, ‘Why aren’t Republicans going along with these commonsense proposals?’” Schumer said. "They’re not crazy. They’re not way out. They’re what every police department in America does.”

    Sen. Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla., said he could back Democrats calls to equip immigration officers with body cameras and would support efforts to bolster training. But he balked at their demands that federal officers remove masks and clearly identify themselves, noting some officers taking part in immigration enforcement operations have faced doxing and other harassment.

    “What are you going to do, expose their faces so you can intimidate their families?” Mullins said. "What we want is ICE to be able to do their job. And we would love for local law enforcement and for states to cooperate with us.”

    Republican Sen. Katie Britt of Alabama, a Trump ally who had pushed for a two-week extension of DHS funding while negotiations continued, said it was "shortsighted of Democrats to walk away" from talks.

    Trump made enforcement of the nation's immigration laws a centerpiece of his 2024 campaign for the White House and he promised to be aggressive in detaining and deporting people living in the United States without legal permission.

    DHS reports it has deported more than 675,000 migrants since Trump's return to office last year and claims some 2.2 million others have “self-deported” as the Republican president has made his immigration crackdown a priority.

    “President Trump is not going to back away from the mission, the mission that American people said they wanted him to complete, and that is securing our border and making sure that we actually do interior enforcement," Britt said.

    Homan was on CBS' “Face the Nation,” Schumer and Mullin appeared on CNN's “State of the Union” and Britt was interviewed on “Fox News Sunday.”


    No Clear Path to Ending the Partial Government Shutdown as Lawmakers Dig in over DHS Oversight | Newsmax.com

  • 700-plus Space Command personnel in Alabama by end of 2028, Sen. Katie Britt says

    By 

    Half of U.S. Space Command headquarters’ workforce will be in Alabama by the end of 2028, U.S. Senator Katie Britt said Friday.

    Britt said that commitment came through conversations she had with Secretary of the Air Force Troy Meink and U.S. Space Command Commanding General Stephen Whiting.

    “They’re going to work closely with our community partners to ensure that that happens,” Britt said during the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber Washington update at the Von Braun Center.

    “We’re going to use every tool in our toolbox to make sure that this permanency is just that, permanency, and there is no way to unwind,” she said.

    Between 1,400 and 1,700 civilian and uniform personnel are expected to work at the headquarters at Redstone Arsenal once the move from the temporary headquarters in Colorado Springs is complete. The move is expected to create more than 3,000 spinoff jobs.

    Britt said significant funding moves are ahead through legislation, including the National Defense Authorization Act “to make sure that occurs.”

    “I want you to know that we are all continuing to work together to make sure that Space Command is at the top of the list,” the senator said.

    Whiting picked Maj. Gen. Terry L. Grisham to lead the transition of the combatant command’s headquarters to Redstone Arsenal.

    The first members of USSPACECOM’s headquarters staff are already on the ground at Redstone Arsenal, forming a dedicated Project Management Office focused on military construction and infrastructure.

    Marshall Space Flight Center

    Britt also said she has a commitment from new NASA Director Jared Isaacman that programs at Marshall Space Flight Center are secure.

    Britt cited funding for programs there among the budget wins for north Alabama.

    “I also fought significantly for Marshall,” she said.

    Britt said Fiscal 2026 funding included “more than $1.3 billion in funding for the Space Launch System, over $2 billion to fund the development of two independent human landing system vehicles and no less than $110 million for nuclear thermal propulsion systems.”

    Britt said funding is secure for lunar missions through Artemis V.


    Read more : 700-plus Space Command personnel in Alabama by end of 2028, Sen. Katie Britt says - al.com

M Mon Monday
T Tue Tuesday
W Wed Wednesday
T Thur Thursday
F Fri Friday
S Sat Saturday
S Sun Sunday